Untitled Document
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Homemade archery target ideas?  (Read 32584 times)
Ackie

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »

Just seeing what a few of you have built for a homemade layered target?

Mathews S2
Trophy Ridge Hailfire 400's
Spott hog 7 pin wrapped
2" Rocket broadheads
Shaffer drop away rest
blucrikmuley
Global Moderator

it ain't gray its chrome!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:36:43 pm »

if you have access to cardboard i have a layered cardboard back stop that has been outside for years. build a box of 2x6 with a plywood bottom. layer up the cardboard about 4 feet high. put another box on top and connect the two with some cable and turnbuckles on the side so you can keep it compressed. best fathers day gift i ever got.

09 Drenalin LD
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
QAD rest
CBE sight
Epek broadheads
Blazer vanes
huntinjunky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:30:51 pm »

Carpet strips work really well aslo.

'13 Elite Answer
Axcel Armortech 7 Pin Sight
Limbdriver Pro V
Carbon Express Mayhem
Slick Trick 100 Mags

2011 Elite Pure
Axcell Armortech Pro 5 pin
Trophy Take Original Rest
Ackie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »

Do the strips wear on the end of the arrows ( rough side of carpet )

Mathews S2
Spott hog 7 pin wrapped
2" Rocket broadheads
Shaffer drop away rest
huntinjunky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:37:39 pm »

I personally haven't managed to make mine yet so I'm not sure about that.

'13 Elite Answer
Limbdriver Pro V
Carbon Express Mayhem
Slick Trick 100 Mags

2011 Elite Pure
FlippinArrows Archery Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:37:39 pm »

Untitled Document
Ackie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:23 pm »

Arrow removal? I want to build somthing that uses the less ease!

Mathews S2
Spott hog 7 pin wrapped
2" Rocket broadheads
Shaffer drop away rest
huntinjunky

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »

From what I have read on Archery Talk the arrow removal is quite easy.  They also say that there is no damage to the arrow from sliding between the carpet peices.

'13 Elite Answer
Limbdriver Pro V
Carbon Express Mayhem
Slick Trick 100 Mags

2011 Elite Pure
Ackie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:35 pm »

Very nice! Maybe I will keep my eyes peeled for some plush carpet eh?

Mathews S2
Spott hog 7 pin wrapped
2" Rocket broadheads
Shaffer drop away rest
Dustin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »

The problem you get with carpet is that you get glue or plastic on your arrorws. Your feild tips will somtime get stuck when you pull them.

if you have access to cardboard i have a layered cardboard back stop that has been outside for years. build a box of 2x6 with a plywood bottom. layer up the cardboard about 4 feet high. put another box on top and connect the two with some cable and turnbuckles on the side so you can keep it compressed. best fathers day gift i ever got.

So heres is what I did for Bluecrikmuley

I started out collecting boxes and pieces of card board I wanted the pieces to be about 2 X 3. So his butt was about 5ft tall if I have it to do again i would only stack the card board to be about 2-3ft tall and then raise the butt up off the Ground. For the base and top I made a box with 2 X 6 cheap lumber and then made a second inner box with 2X4 with some cross framing and then put a piece of 3/4 ply sheeting on the inside.  That made a lip around the top and bottom for the cardboard to drop into. When I got the amount of card board I wanted and stacked it up and started triming the edgeds with a circular saw about 3 1/2 inches at a time and until all my cardboard was the same size 2 X 3 and then put the box on the top.  Back in the day I compressed the card board and then put a cable around the whole bundle the cable kept it compressed, If I had to do it again I would just get some ratchet straps and compress it that way.

Maybe bluecrikmuley can take a picture just remember its been out in the weather for years and could probably use a recompress and maybe some new card board where it is worn out.

If you have a IT shop at your work ask about computer boxes they are great and there seems to be a lot of them.

Maybe I'll start another and post some pictures.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:28:40 pm by Dustin » Logged

07 Bowtech Tribute
Easton Axcess 340
Truglo
Muzzy
blucrikmuley
Global Moderator

it ain't gray its chrome!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:05 pm »

i have been shootig the center of that butt for years with no pass throughs. and never compressed it either still works good..

also does anyone have a good plan for a paper tuning setup (home made) i built a frame and used some newspaper years ago but was not too happy with the results.

09 Drenalin LD
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
QAD rest
CBE sight
Epek broadheads
Blazer vanes
rthawker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:26 pm »

also does anyone have a good plan for a paper tuning setup (home made) i built a frame and used some newspaper years ago but was not too happy with the results.

I haven't done it myself but if I were to give it a go I think I would get a roll of butchers paper and make a frame out of pvc.  I've seen a couple done that way and it seems to work well.

Darren Lemieux
Mathews Switchback XT
Easton Axis FMJ 400 w/AAE Max Hunters
G5 Optix XR sight
Trophy Taker drop away rest
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »

My friends dad built a backstop...  He has a broadhead deer out at his house for shooting field points.  He used hay before but it never lasted long especially against newer high power bows.  He changed ideas and used a rubber floor pad used for horse trailers...  My buddy and I were shooting this target and on shots that would have blown through the target or ones we even missed.  it didn't do more than 6-8" of penetration.  It stopped every arrow that hit it.

2014 Carbon Spyder 34 - Hexx 330
2013 Vantage Elite Plus - Protour 380
2012 Vector 35, ACC - Bowhunter/3D
04 Game Master..  Because I can.
Fuse Carbon Sights, Fuse Blade Stabilizers 
Hoyt Ultra Rest, Easton Arrows, Carter Releases
Slick Trick 100 grain, or Rage 2 blade Broadheads
bow_dude

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

Get yourself a gunny sack.  Fill it with plastic bags, wrap or what I use is disgarded visqueen.  This time of year, you can usually get it at most construction sites.  No good for broadheads, but two finger removal with field tips.  Really light, easy to take anywhere you want to go.  Fiber glass insulation works well also, although it is really abrashive and will take the paint off your arrows.  Raggs or some other type of loose fiber material also works well.  The plastic is by far the lightest material and weatherproof.

Pack the bag tight and sew the end closed.  Use string or wire. 
bow_dude

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »

Forgot the best part.  Cost is about $2 for the gunny sack and using disgarded visqueen, $0.  Once you have collected everything, about 15 minutes to put it together, including the sewing.
Ackie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:45 pm »

I am thinking bigger than a gunnie sack like a 5' X 5' square boxed framed. I will probablly use visqueen or some source of plastic for the filling. I would like to make it big enough for 100 plus yard shots for practice. I think that size would work like a dream. plus the weight of plastic over clothes is a simple choice.

Mathews S2
Spott hog 7 pin wrapped
2" Rocket broadheads
Shaffer drop away rest
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: