Untitled Document
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Too speed bow or not to speed bow  (Read 9094 times)
DXT Freak
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:08 pm »

Ok, took the QAD off, took the DXT down from 72lbs to 65lbs. And looking onto back tensions. Here's hoping I'm going in the right direction...
buckshot brunson

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:55 pm »

good choice lowering poundage. it'll help you shoot even better. plus your shoulders will last longer for many more years of shooting. you need to try the carter evolution release also. one of the best shooters i have meet(dave taylor) shoots 45 pounds. it's not a strength game!!! heck i can shoot 100 pounds!!! but whats the point??? the goal is to put the arrow were you want it right?

05 protec, spiral cams, 03 Hoyt Supertec04 Hoyt proelite,cam and a half plus
spothogg hogg it,toxonics microelite
2613 target arrow,340 st Epic 3-d,hunting 340 FMJ
broadhead of choice, NAP Thunderhead
releases,carter quickie,chocolate additiction,hotshot squeeze it
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »

My ultimate rig of choice for target, 47lbs Hoyt Elite, Spiral Cams. I started out with a back tension.  I got more accurate. Than I learned how to punch that.  Got a thumb trigger.  Got worse.  Got really messed up.  Spent the next 3 years to find the release to cure me.  I read about the Carter Evolution.  I got one, and shot it soley for about a year or longer straight.  Nothing else.  Once I got to the point I was taking first place in tournaments, scratch scores and so on, where my shot was dialed.  I pulled that thumb trigger out and took a shot.  it felt just like my evolution.  I stuck with it.  I did really well at the STOB Big Shoot, with a bow i'd hardly owned a week.  I finally got my set up figured out 2 days before the shoot.  and i placed overall in the top 10%, My name even made it in the paper. 

Getting into a back tension release, I would take some tips on guys who shoot them.  There are many ways to work them correctly. Cranking, pulling, Click, or No Click.  There are alot of different theories.  and as long as you don't develop bad habits they are right.  Wilkey shoots back tension,  he is a cranker.  Watch his form next time you shoot with him.  Anthony Reed he is more of a puller.  and he shoots a style that has a safety on it.  Put in your homework and you'll be happy.

2014 Carbon Spyder 34 - Hexx 330
2013 Vantage Elite Plus - Protour 380
2012 Vector 35, ACC - Bowhunter/3D
04 Game Master..  Because I can.
Fuse Carbon Sights, Fuse Blade Stabilizers 
Hoyt Ultra Rest, Easton Arrows, Carter Releases
Slick Trick 100 grain, or Rage 2 blade Broadheads
DXT Freak
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »

Ok I will. Cranking, pulling, what's that?
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 10:51:55 pm »

Forms of shooting a back tension.

Cranking is where you pull on your fingers, like your closing them by pulling towards your pinky, so that the head of the release is "cranked" back until it goes off. (Watch Wilkey)

Pulling is where with a lighter setting by "pulling" with back tension your back muscles create enough rotation sufficient to fire the release

FlippinArrows Archery Forum
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 10:51:55 pm »

Untitled Document
DXT Freak
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 02:23:33 am »

Ya I will when he shows up next. He's not there a lot. I think I'm a cranker, is that bad? If your a puller do you mess with settings a lot on your release to get it to go off perfect for you?

Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »

on a back tension i consider myself a puller.  I don't think I have the coordination to be a cranker.  I like to squeeze my hand and pull on that cam wall than "POW" I get a better surprise that way.  I don't think I ever had my draw setup well enough to get cranking down. 

It is ok to be either a cranker or a puller.  the only important detail is if you can execute the exact same over and over again.

As far as setting it up.  As long as your are happy with it and you can use it well.  You'll only need to adjust it once.  Once you are happy.  you'll know and you'll leave it alone.

DXT Freak
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 02:13:43 pm »

I'll have to pay more attention to everyone shooting one. I did watch Anthony Reed last Sunday at out regular sight in. His is an interesting style. He almost punches it sometimes. Others you can tell there is a definite surprise.
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »

The trick is you want the surprise.  when you are that focused on the target and not the timing.  Your arrow will almost always find its way to where you are shooting.  I started out with back tension and learned how to punch it in a bad way.  I took some redicule for it too.  But shooting the Carter Evolution it cured me.

DXT Freak
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

Can you give me any advice to where I don't learn any bad habits?
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »

Biggest thing.  I worried so much about the components and the release and not enough about the target.  Blank bail enough that your subconcious knows how to shoot.  You, just focus on the target.  Don't think about your release or what you are doing.  by putting your pin on the dot, and don't sweat if your pin bounces around.  (if your stabilizers are right it won't be that bad).  but focus on your target.  and you'll shoot an X without knowing you did it.

Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2010, 12:45:36 am »

Ok so to keep the topic alive.  Speed Bows..  Grin Besides giving short draw shooters a better chance of better speeds.  In what other ways has speed boosted your success or perfomance either in the field or arena??

blucrikmuley
Global Moderator

it ain't gray its chrome!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

a little side bar on speed--- Grin i heard last week that hoyt or fuse is trying to bring back the bolt on overdraw. the rumer is you pick up some speed and its more forgiving than a really short brace height.

09 Drenalin LD
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
QAD rest
CBE sight
Epek broadheads
Blazer vanes
Unfair Advantage

Never Settle!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »

That was the original concept of the Overdraw.  Shorter arrow, lighter spine shaft and still maintain the correct spine, and having a much lighter arrow.  If you could shave 3" off of your arrow.  you are talking like 25+ grains and probably a spine shaft so you are talking much lighter.  It is a big speed boost as soon as you bolt one on with maintaining whatever your brace height is. It is all decreasing payload.  Its an easy way to shoot quicker and not buy a new bow,  or at least shoot a bow that you like not a rough speed bow.

blucrikmuley
Global Moderator

it ain't gray its chrome!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

we messed with overdraws years ago. my wife has a PSE infinity with a factory installed overdraw. cool lookin bow, and she shot it well. i had an older hoyt powertec that has an overdraw machined right into the riser. this was hoyts speed bow in about 1998 or 99. the thing that might be comeing, that i have never seen, is an overdraw combined with a fall away rest. i would be willing to tinker with that combo just for fun.

09 Drenalin LD
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
QAD rest
CBE sight
Epek broadheads
Blazer vanes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to: